Wednesday, July 11, 2012

How to be Happy, Part 8

It is all about Choices.

It is one  thing to understand, at the logical level, that God is good, that he loves  us, and is in control. At an emotional level, it is a different deal. I  get very anxious at negative thoughts that present the idea of financial  insecurity.

Logically, I know that God is hugely powerful and loving and  He will provide for me. At the emotional level, I do not.

It is my understanding  that, if you truly believe something, it should change the way you feel  about that specific thing. For example, if I TRULY believed with all my  heart soul mind and strength that God would protect me and provide for  me, I would not become fearful and anxious at the first sight of trouble.  My natural reaction would say: "No big deal, God will see me through  this." This would happen at an emotional level, allowing me to keep  my peace.

Is this your natural reaction when faced with trouble or uncertainties?

Our  sinful nature, Satan, and the world, work hard at keeping us focused on  the things we don't have, on instant gratification, selfish ambitions.

So  far, we have discussed things such as our thoughts, focusing our mind on  Him, giving him thanks, and being obedient. All these things are choices.  They are disciplines that we choose to develop or choose not to develop.

Beyond  the ages-old argument of predestination versus free will, one thing cannot  be disputed; the actions I take have consequences. If I make a good choice,  I reap the benefits. If I make a poor choice, I reap the consequences as  well.

Happiness then, is a choice. We choose to develop those disciplines.  We choose to practice them (persevere) until they become an automatic part  of who we are (habitual or instinctive, a second nature.)

So today I want to challenge you  to commit yourself to practicing these disciplines. I want to challenge  you to CHOOSE TO BE HAPPY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment