Tuesday, February 28, 2012

First things First


I want to be happy, healthy, and wealthy. I want my life to be perfect, free of problems, and abounding in every good thing, and it will be, after I die. Until then, however, I am stuck in this imperfect world, filled with sin and pain. And so are you. In the mean time, however, I stress and become anxious when things don't quite work out the way I want them to. I stress over work, I stress over possible failure, I stress over what might or might not happen that could affect my finances, I stress over just about anything.

Reading the amplified version of the sermon on the mount a couple of days ago, I came across this passage that I wanted to share with you:

"Therefore I tell you, stop being perpetually uneasy (anxious and worried) about your life, what you shall eat or what you shall drink; or about your body, what you shall put on. Is not life greater [in quality] than food, and the body [far above and more excellent] than clothing?" Matthew 6:25, AMP

The phrase "perpetually uneasy" stood out to me. When I read this particular section of the scripture, I usually read the ESV or the NIV version, but that day I was reading the amplified version, which seems to give additional insight that is sometimes lost in the other translations. The phrase stood out to me so strongly because it describe so precisely how I feel about my life. I feel perpetually uneasy, anxious, and worried. Whether I am at work or at home, even in my sleep sometimes, there seems to be an undercurrent of fear and anxiety about some impending tragedy that might happen at any moment. That is why I read this section of scripture so often, to try to address that underlying insecurity.

As a side note, let me clarify that this passage never says not to save for the future, it only commands not to worry about saving. Other sections of scriptures, such as proverbs, definitely do advice saving and planning for the future. So, please, do keep contributing towards your savings accounts and retirement, just start trusting in God more than in your money.

The larger passage that I was reading at the time is Matthew 6:25-33 and the NIV translation titles it "Do Not Worry." If you read this section carefully, you will notice that it is written in a commanding format. It does not say "I suggest you relax a bit". It is not a suggestion or advice, it is a command to "stop". The passage goes on to talk about three aspects of life: Food, clothing, and storing for the future which, in my mind, all speak about finances. The passage ends with the following statement:

"But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." Matthew 6:33-34, ESV

Which brings me to the point I wanted to make all along. The first priority for a Christian should always be the Kingdom of God, and his righteousness. In other words, your relationship and intimacy with Jesus, not health, wealth, and happiness. Out of your relationship with him flow every good thing that is worth having. Away from him, we can only wither and die. The life of a Christian should be the life of someone that is perpetually connected to Christ. So the spirit and love of Christ can flow through the Christian onto everyone he comes into contact with. It should be one continual, uninterrupted act of worship towards God. From God, To God, and By God.

So far we talked about keeping God first, which is the main priority of a Christina not only in finances, but in every aspect in life. Stay tuned because tomorrow we will be talking about HOW we go about doing this.

Additional Scriptures: Matthew 6:19-24, John 15:5-6; Proverbs 3:5-6, Luke 10:27-28; Romans 12:1

2 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, I thought I had already signed up to follow you, but I obviously did something wrong. Thanks for the invite, I should now be following your blog. I am looking forward to growing as I follow your blog. -g

    ReplyDelete