Friday, July 27, 2012

Keeping the WHY in mind

Free Image courtesy of
FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Do you loose sight of why you do what you do?

I was supposed to be spending a relaxed and friendly family night with my wife, playing Super Mario Bros. on our Wii, but it turned out to be a lot less relaxed or fun than we had expected.

I lost sight of the fact that I was playing and got into "performance mode". Every time my wife would do something that I did not agree with or my Mario character would die, I would become frustrated and upset, which is not a great way to spend a night of marital entertainment.

Let me clarify, I probably had about three billion lives left, so I could have continued dying and re-playing those level until I was blue in the face without any problem, but I lost sight of what I was doing. I was supposed to be having fun. Instead, I was in performance mode trying to "get it done."

I lost sight of the WHY behind the WHAT!!!

Next time you are starting to feel frustrated or upset, take a quick break and ask yourself, "Why am I feeling this way? What am I doing? Why am I doing this? Is this really that important?"


No comments:

Post a Comment