Monday, February 20, 2012

President's Day - An Occasion to Worship Jesus


"Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God." Romans 13:1 ESV

Every authority in heaven and on earth is established by God, including our president. As such, it is my deep conviction that the person that holds this most influential position be treated with out-most respect. Whether you live in the USA, Argentina, China, or anywhere else in the world, I believe this should be your attitude towards whichever leaders God has chosen to place over you.

Sometimes I agree with the decisions taken by the president and some times I do not. However, on this President's day I wanted to address an issue that is close to my heart. Even though I do not always agree with our current president, I respect him and accept him as the authority that God has placed in my life. However, I have observed that some people, including Christians, do not do this. Instead they complain and insult him, and by doing so, the indirectly complain and insult God. After all, it was Him the one that chose him as a leader.

While in the wilderness, David was being pursued by Saul, who was trying to kill him. At this time, Saul was the King of Israel and, as such, David's King. At one instance, Saul ventures into a cave where David and his men were hiding. As Saul was relieving himself, David's men were encouraging him to take advantage of the situation and dispose of this despised tyrant. However tempted he might have been, David did not do this:
"And the men of David said to him, "Here is the day of which the Lord said to you, 'Behold, I will give your enemy into your hand, and you shall do to him as it shall seem good to you.'" Then David arose and stealthily cut off a corner of Saul's robe. And afterward David's heart struck him, because he had cut off a corner of Saul's robe. He said to his men, "The Lord forbid that I should do this thing to my lord, the Lord's anointed, to put out my hand against him, seeing he is the Lord's anointed." "1 Samuel 24:4-6 ESV

The attitude that David shows is one of respect for the authority that God had bestowed onto the man Saul. It is an attitude of worship toward God and his decisions. God is fully capable of disposing of Saul whenever he deems it appropriate so, at this time, David chose to worship God by respecting His decision to anoint Saul as king and lord over him.

On this day and age, God has chosen Barack Obama as His anointed to lead this nation. As such, I hope that this President's day you bow your heart to Jesus and worship Him by accepting and respecting those that He chose to put in authority over you.

Thank you Lord for the Leadership of Mr. Barack Obama. I ask that you guide and lead Him according to your purposes. Guard and keep him against every force that wishes him evil and, above all else, bless him and his family with a deeper intimacy with you, a relationship with you that will touch every aspect of his life, including his position as leader of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment