Friday, February 24, 2012

All About Grace, Part 1

Christianity is all about grace, yet people keep insisting in making it about a whole lot of other things. But, what is grace exactly? To understand grace, lets first take a look at love.
"Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at  wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, ESV
Grace is when you apply this attitude that the bible calls love (which is very different than what the world calls love) to someone that has hurt you, or does not deserve it. Grace is to forgive, and treat others as you would have them treat you, when they mess up. Put yourself into the offender's shoes and ask yourself these questions: If I had done what he/she did, how would I like people to treat me? Would I want people to respond with understanding and forgiveness? Or would I like people to judge me and put me down because of what I did?
"So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets." Matthew 7:12, ESV
If you are like me, you would likely choose the second of those two options. Then why is it that most of the time people do not behave like this? As a matter of fact, treating other in any other way is, in my opinion, hypocritical. But, since we are talking about grace, let me hasten to add that no one can do this perfectly, and there is grace for that too. I sure don't get it right nearly as much as I would like to.
Grace is God coming down to save a disgusting, filthy, sinful people, and submitting himself to humiliation, torture, and the cross, when He could have stayed in the comfort of Heaven, surrounded by angles singing Him praises for ever more.
"For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:6-8, ESV
"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." John 10:10-11, ESV
For the second and, in my opinion, more important part of this article please, check back on Monday February 27th -g

No comments:

Post a Comment