Tuesday, March 20, 2012

How to balance your life, Part 2

Life Goals.

It is important to establish what God's goals for your life are. I wrestled with my life goals a few years back and finally came up with the four main goals that I believe God wanted for my life. Every now and then I re-visit them and try to fine-tune them. This is not the final draft, but it is the latest draft.

Life Goals
By His grace, this I will do.
1. To keep Him first at all times and continue developing the intimacy in my relationship with Him, learning to walk by faith, following His leadership even as Jesus did, onto Christ likeness.
2. To discover and fulfill His will for my life in obedience, Christ likeness, worship, love, humility, and unselfishness. Through His grace and power.
3. To become the husband, father, and man that God desires for me to be.
4. To spread the Gospel, make disciples, and share my faith in Jesus Christ with as many people as possible.

It is important to notice the subtitle of this list of life goals, "By His Grace, This I Will do." Accomplishing these goals is not something that I can do on my own. Attempting to achieve these on my own strength would violate the very first goal anyway. These goals can only be accomplished by His grace. No amount of striving will help me achieve any of these outside of His grace.
Having a well defined set of Goals is a very helpful tool when making decisions. They help us keep our focus on the important things and avoid getting distracted by this world.

These are very generic and non-specific goals. They are based on scripture, study, and prayer. Even though these goals could apply to any Christian, I encourage you to embark on the adventure of discovering God's goals for your life instead of adopting these as your own. I would like to recommend "The Purpose Driven Life" as good study to start with when establishing your life-long goals.

Goals aim at answering the question, "Where is my life going?"
What are your goals for you life? Where is your life going?

No comments:

Post a Comment