Thursday, March 22, 2012

How to Balance Your Life, Part 4

Earlier we discussed that the most important thing in life was our relationship with Jesus. The second most important thing in life, according to Luke 10:27, is our relationship with our neighbors. The priorities that were discussed on the previous section were selected in that order to support these relationships in a healthy and balanced way.
 "And behold, a lawyer stood up to put him to the test, saying, "Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" He said to him, "What is written in the Law? How do you read it?" And he answered, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself." And he said to him, "You have answered correctly; do this, and you will live."" Luke 10:25-28, ESV
My relationship with my wife and children is the next more important item in the list. This set of people are the most important in my life and they take precedence over any other individuals. God specifically gave them to me so I may take care of them. After that, other things start to take priority because they support my relation to Christ as well as my family.

The third item on the list is health. Being healthy physically and emotionally is paramount to having a healthy relationship with God and Family. If the physical health of an individual suffers, the mind and spirit suffer as well. If the mental or emotional health of a person is deteriorated, the entire person is out of balance and his/hers relationship with Christ and family suffers as well.

Health was chosen to be in the third place of the list, because it supports the first and second priorities. Following health is finances and work. This priority, like health, is also in support of a previous one. Without a reasonable amount of financial stability, family life will suffer. As a husband and father, it is my responsibility to provide for my family. I believe this is a biblical idea. However, this is also a decision that we have made between my wife and I. We decided that it was more important for my wife to stay at home with the children than for her to have a full time job. She does have a home based business (she is a Mary Kay Beauty.... I mean, beauty consultant) as second priority to raising the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment