Monday, April 23, 2012

Judgmentalism

"Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye." Matthew 7:1-5, ESV

I want to suggest that this scripture does not refer to the final judgment, but to our everyday life. The final judgment will not be based on actions or attitudes, but on our faith on Jesus Christ alone.

"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." Ephesians 2:8-9, ESV

In my life, I have experienced times of peace and times of strife. I have found that how judgmental I am of others has a direct affect on how judgmental I am towards myself. My struggle with perfectionism has a lot to do with this. My expectation of myself and others is another aspect of this issue.

Over the last several years, I have become more and more judgmental. A trait that, with the help of the Holy Spirit, I am working on eliminating. However, during my younger years I was not this way. It is an interesting coincidence that during my earlier years I was not only a lot more acceptant of people, but I also had a much greater sense of peace and acceptance towards myself. This yielded a much more peaceful life, in terms of my peace of mind and heart. I was much more friendly and easy going. Similarly, as I have grown more judgmental, I have become less friendly, harder to get along with, and angrier.

This is what I believe Jesus was trying to tell us when he said that in the same way we judge other, we will be judged. Not that we would be judged by Him at the final judgment, but that we would judge ourselves in this way during our earthly life, and make it a miserable one.

Today I want to challenge you to look inwardly and be honest with yourself. Once you have done that, ask yourself: Am I judgmental of other? How much?

Father, thank you for opening our eyes and showing us those sins that are keeping us from the life you want us to have. Please help us loose our lives, that we may find it. Help us lead the life that you want us to lead. Help us be your image here on earth. Thank you Jesus for how good you are. Thank you for teaching us. Thank you for wanting what is best for us, even if we don't understand it that way sometimes. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment