Thursday, August 23, 2012

I Really Wish We All Understood This

I had an interesting experience the other day. I went for a walk with my son, whom being obsessed with yard maintenance, wanted to go look at the neighbor mow her lawn. Naturally, I held him above my head so the two feet tall child could admire the coveted item over the privacy fence that separated this neighbor from our property.
 
Since this particular neighbor would probably find it strange that a levitating baby was looking at her from above her seven feet tall fence, I decided to say hello and strike up a conversation. Talking to someone else across a fence, without being able to see her or her face, was an interesting and extremely awkward experience. Have you ever had a conversation like that?
 
You might be tempted to answer "No," or "Rarely," but I want to challenge that answer. If I had to answer that question honestly, which is the way I try to answer all questions, I would have to say that most of my conversations are that way!! That is a sad truth.
 
By now you have probably figured out that I am not talking about a physical wall, but an emotional one. As a community group leader, this is one of the major obstacles I face.
 
Why do we hide our true selves behind emotional walls, or "facades" so often? Why are we scared to show our "true colors"?
 
I think the answer is simple. We are insecure. We are more scared of being rejected by men than secure in our acceptance by God.
 
If God, who knows the deepest darkest recesses of my heart and mind, has chosen to adopt me as his very own child, what does it matter what anyone else thinks about me?
 
Lets review this. God is infinite. He created the heavens and the earth simply by speaking a few words. He understands the most amazing secrets, some of which we don't even know exist. He can tell the sun, the moon, and the stars what to do, and they obey Him. He is more important, powerful and influential than all human beings combined.
 
If this God thinks that I am worth dying for, why do I care what some puny little soul thinks of me?
 
Today I want to challenge you to think about God and who He is! How awesome, powerful, infinite, and amazing He is. Truly meditate on how much He loves YOU!!!
 
Yes, GOD LOVES YOU!!! And HE CHOSE YOU!!!
 
You do not have to "earn" anything. You do not need to perform in order to be loved, accepted, or special.
 
You are special to God just like you are. Who cares what everyone else thinks?
 
Believe this, live by it, and BE AN AUTHENTIC CHRISTIAN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment